Once approved as a resource parent you automatically become a member of the Renfrew County Foster Parent Association (FPA). The FPA is comprised of all resource parents in Renfrew County and is headed up by the Executive, consisting of the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and 3 Members at Large. You also become a member of the Foster Parent Society of Ontario, our provincial governing body.
The Foster Parent Association Executive is your liaison to the Agency. Our mission is to strengthen resource families by advocating for change, improvements, clarification and support on behalf of our members. Our goals also include:
- Improving communication with resource parents.
- Coordinating discussion groups/ networking/training.
- Compiling foster parent feedback and ideas.
- Increasing our provincial involvement.
What does your FPA offer you?
- Discussion groups/ Networking/Support
- Years of experience for peer support
- Communication to all resource parents
- Advocacy for the improvement and implementation of services
- Development and maintenance of a positive image of fostering in the community
The FPA Executive meets monthly at the Isabella Street location. You are more than welcome to attend and we encourage you to do so.
Our Annual General Meeting takes place in the Spring. Watch for the notice of the Meeting in your email or mail out from the Agency. We’re always looking for enthusiastic team players.
In 2014 we implemented the “Let’s Network” sessions. These sessions offer peer support and include a training component/presentation. Past presentations have included Attachment, The Importance of Play, Allegations, Reimbursables and Car Seat Safety. We’re looking forward to many more informative presentations.
Currently all Let’s Network sessions take place in the Rotary Room at the Petawawa Library.