Skip to content

Reporting A Concern

It takes a community to keep our children and youth safe.

Some signs of child abuse or neglect are easy to recognize, but not all. Some can be complicated and difficult to identify. If you have concerns that a child or youth might need help, it is your duty to report it. It takes a community to keep our children and youth safe, and we cannot help children in unsafe environments or their families without your help.

In 2018, the age of protection was raised to include youth up to 18 years old. Youth who are 16 and 17 years old are now eligible to receive protection services from Family and Children’s Services of Renfrew County. While reporting for 16 and 17-year old youth is not mandatory, we encourage you to please contact us if you have concerns so that we can help.


How do I know if I should report a concern?

A concern over a child or youth should be reported if you suspect one or more of the following:

What You Should Know About Reporting

  • You can report anonymously.
  • It is not your responsibility to determine whether abuse or neglect has occurred. We’re responsible for investigating and assessing the need for protection or involvement.
  • Filing a report to Family and Children’s Services of Renfrew County does not prove abuse or neglect, but allows authorities to take the appropriate actions to determine the risk of each situation.
  • Each report will be investigated and the situation will be evaluated to ensure the child and family receives the support necessary to keep the child safe.
  • There are times when some parents may mistreat or harm their children due to problems they are having in their family. When a request for help or a report is made to Family and Children’s Services of Renfrew County, a Child Protection Worker will become involved by working with everyone in the family to determine what is happening and what services may be of help to protect the child from risk of harm.

How to Reach Us

There is someone available to take your call, 24 hours a day, every day of the year. If you have a concern, please call us at 613-735-6866 or toll free at 1-800-267-5878.


Informative Brochures






reportingchildabuseandneglect_FR (1)



How We Respond to Your Call